Angle grinder for cutting stone

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just bought a DeWalt DW840 7" angle grinder for various needs. One immediate need was to cut flagstone. The tool comes with a Type 27 guard typically used for grinding, wire brush, polishing, rust removal etc. Apparently a Type 1 guard is needed for cutting stone (and presumably metal... not sure about wood). This grinder does not have or support the use of a Type 1 guard. So two questions

1) Is it true I cannot cut stone or metal using this tool without a type 1 guard?
2) How would I search online for an angle grinder which supported a type 1 guard.

I'm looking for something versatile which can work with wood, stone, metal - grinding, polishing, cutting. I've never had or used an angle grinder but was under the impression that it could fit a lot of my needs.

Reaction score
Can't addmuch about guards but be ready for dust like you want to lay down a smoke screen. My suggestion would be to get a helper when you cut stone who can apply some water with a slow flowing hose or something else onto the cut. It'll be messy but the dust will be more controlled. I saw a pic a guy used a 5 gal bucket with a spigot put near the bottom with a valve and a hose that he used to trickle water onto the cut. Comments said it worked pretty well.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Without extensive training and at least a bushel of experience I suggest you forget about using a freehand angle grinder of any size on wood with a blade designed for wood and certainly not a 7 inch. That's nothing but a free hand disaster waiting to happen.

For stone cutting I recommend a guide so the grinder can be controlled rather than totally free hand. You may need to construct your own guide because Bosch is the only one I see available for a smaller grinder. As you will quickly discover direction of travel with the grinder in relation to the rotation of the blade/grinder wheel is of importance for safety. And speaking of safety NEVER LOCK THE TRIGGER / SWITCH in the on position if your grinder has that function. A full face shield is also
Angle Grinder handheld - 2020.jpg
Angle grinder accident- 2020.jpg
something else I recommend.

In my opinion this is one of the most dangerous tools available. Pictured is a hand and grinder ( NOT MINE ).

Also pictured is my Jack Shirt tail when I was slightly complacent using a Cupped Wire Brush with about 60 years experience under my belt.
Makita cupped wheel 2-6-16.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Without extensive training and at least a bushel of experience I suggest you forget about using a freehand angle grinder of any size on wood with a blade designed for wood and certainly not a 7 inch. That's nothing but a free hand disaster waiting to happen.

For stone cutting I recommend a guide so the grinder can be controlled rather than totally free hand. You may need to construct your own guide because Bosch is the only one I see available for a smaller grinder. As you will quickly discover direction of travel with the grinder in relation to the rotation of the blade/grinder wheel is of importance for safety. And speaking of safety NEVER LOCK THE TRIGGER / SWITCH in the on position if your grinder has that function. A full face shield is also View attachment 3536View attachment 3537something else I recommend.

In my opinion this is one of the most dangerous tools available. Pictured is a hand and grinder ( NOT MINE ).

Also pictured is my Jack Shirt tail when I was slightly complacent using a Cupped Wire Brush with about 60 years experience under my belt.

For stone cutting I recommend a guide so the grinder can be controlled rather than totally free hand. You may need to construct your own guide because Bosch is the only one I see available for a smaller grinder. As you will quickly discover direction of travel with the grinder in relation to the rotation of the blade/grinder wheel is of importance for safety. And speaking of safety NEVER LOCK THE TRIGGER / SWITCH in the on position if your grinder has that function. A full face shield is also View attachment 3536View attachment 3537something else I recommend.

Also pictured is my Jack Shirt tail when I was slightly complacent using a Cupped Wire Brush with about 60 years experience under my belt.View attachment 3538
Is there a specific reason the text is all cluttered up between pics? What can I do to correct that?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can someone tell me why text and pics are intermingled among each other.

Ask a Question