Cheap Garage Door Repair - non-standard size doors

Reaction score
I have a large garage with 3 sectional garage doors facing a busy street. The previous owner used to store his boat, so each door is oversized - 10 wide x 9' high. That means if I were to replace, the doors would have to be non-standard/ custom , so I am looking at close to 9-10K for all 3 doors. I dont have the funds right now, and its not a priority to do full replacement, but the doors look really bad and I want to at least do something to improve the condition in the meantime.
Some on the panels on the doors are in bad shape, where just painting is not going to be enough. I was trying to research some temporary options - to last maybe another 2-3 years, until I can look into full replacement. The doors are already heavy, so I dont want to add weight. Here were some thoughts -
I thought about bondo, but some of the areas of damage are really large.
Vinyl laminate - is there a vinyl decal or laminate that I can glue on? Something slightly thicker. I can fill the large gaps with insulation or spray foam and cut it level.
FRP panels or aluminum.
Or some product Im not thinking of?
Wood and wood panels would be too heavy and thin ones would warp too easily.

Again, not looking for perfection , just a temp fix. thanks!

Ask a Question