Cheap nasty internal doors.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had a run in with a very cheap nasty internal door yesterday; the door is to the music studio and had started to stick at the lock edge whilst also rubbing the carpet; this a result of recent subsidence and now the extreme freezing weather; to leave a door like this could easily result in damaging the door if it needs to be forced open so I never mess around and get such jobs sorted quickly.

Door job_0001.JPG

This is the studio door.

Door job_0002.JPG

Why wasn't I surprised to plane right through the door bottom frame member the frames not much thicker than veneer so not the job bit me.

Door job_0003.JPG

Cheap nasty doors made to absolute minimum regarding materials lightweight frame skinned with 1/8" plywood and a cardboard honeycomb center; horrible.

Door job_0004.JPG

When I make something it's made to last; here's the new bottom frame member of hardwood ready to be fitted.

Door job_0006.JPG

I've just knocked off for dinner and to allow the glue to dry then after dinner perhaps I can finally do a bit of planing to make the door fit.

Door job_0008.JPG

When I say cheap and nasty this is all that is left of the bottom frame member; I did plane a bit off yesterday but when I rehung the door yesterday it was still rubbing the carpet.

I've been trying very hard for the last 16 months to practice playing my violins but could scream because every time I get diverted with must do jobs; in March I ended up felling and disposing of 15 very tall trees whilst working in atrocious conditions; in August on my birthday I was greeted with our two roomed rear extension detaching itself from the main bungalow wall due to subsidence; in-between I've done no end of work that needed doing; 16 months and counting; will I ever play my violins?

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hollow-core doors are typical for interior doors here in North America as well. I'm not fond of them. Understandably, their used as interior doors where security and R-value (insulative measure/rating) is not of concern. The hollow core likely also reduces the transmission of noise and does other dead air voids/gaps.

I hope the structure has relaxed, and will not settle any further. If it continues to shift/settle, your likely going to see plaster/drywall cracks, more "sticky" doors, bi-fold doors mating unevenly, etc.......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks @AC Power These doors are very strong and stable considering their low weight and cheap ply but I was amazed to plane right through the bottom member with only a few strokes of the plane; it's highly possible the door was planed years ago to clear the carpet but it shows cheapness taken too far.

Thanks I too hope the extension has finally settled; my lovely wife and I have lived here 35 years this the first time I've ever needed to adjust this door.

Doors_0001.JPG

I've made many doors over the years here are three to our kitchen made of Meranti hardwood another seen in the front room. The drawers ore solid oak made for my wife's card making hobby.

Jobs done._0002.JPG

My most recent door when I made and installed the front entrance this in softwood.
Heat damage_0007_02 - Copy.JPG

Side hung garage doors made years ago to replace up and over door made in softwood.

Rear door_0001.JPG

First ever door I made when we moved here 35 years ago after previous owner broke the original door using brute force to open it. Again in softwood and still like brand new. I like to make things that last not make things as cheaply as possible after all it's the labour which costs most not the materials.

Kind regards, Colin.

Ask a Question