Can we remove these walls easily?

eap

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to the forum but my husband and I have been doing projects in our 30year old house for the last 10years. We have always hesitated to take out these weird small walls in our kitchen because we don't know if they are structural to the house. We have a ranch house and the kitchen originally had an eat in area which these walls helped to define, the area with the sofits were the cabinet area. Our kitchen is long and narrow and since the dinning room is next to it we don't see the point in also having an eat in area in the kitchen. We want to take out these walls and extend the countertop and cabinets. I'm attaching pictures. The walls are running perpendicular to the roof line but there is not a header just a regular stud. The room (including the small walls) measures 17'x10' (long and narrow) the area the small walls enclose is 8x10. So my question is are they support walls or can we just take them out?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

Reaction score
My personal opinion is that you two shouldn't have to take our those tiny walls, i think your kitchen looks amazing with them, and its a hell of a lot better then my current kitchen haha.

eap

Reaction score
My personal opinion is that you two shouldn't have to take our those tiny walls, i think your kitchen looks amazing with them, and its a hell of a lot better then my current kitchen haha.
Awe ! Thanks ! But I have so little counter space doing anything with more than one person in the kitchen is a major challenge :(

eap

Reaction score
Ok we took some attic pictures and it looks like there is a header over the tiny walls with roof supports going into the ends of the header. We are thinking its structural based on this, and wondering if removing the tiny walls but reinforcing the support on the inside of the walls is enough? The A is directly on top of the header and ends inside the walls (so not resting on the tiny wall part that juts into the kitchen, but inside the walls). I doubt that matters but we are wondering if even considering this is worth it.

Attachments

Ask a Question