Paint on walls is stretchy when removed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to redecorate bedroom. Paint is vinyl matt from large DIY store. Washed walls and paint started to peel off. It comes off in large bits and small bits and is stretchy. Room is large so it's taking a long time. Not sure how long ago it was painted by previous owners but at least eight years ago. Paint in all other rooms is ok. Has something been added to the paint to result in this problem. ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds like it's simply not sticking to the walls. What did you wash them with?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I washed with water only starting under a window ledge. The paint peeled off so I decided to wet thoroughly and peel off all the paint. Thank you for your reply.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's the old paint that I'm having trouble with. I washed walls and was then going to paint over but the old paint surface (matt emulsion) is the one that is peeling off in large and small strips. I've done about 80%. I just wondered what had made the old paint like this.
Thank you again for your reply.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry - I thought it was your paint that was peeling off. If the existing is, then no amount of washing will help - doesn't matter how well you get your new layer to stick to the old one, they will both come off.

Cause is probably inadequate surface preparation when the previous painting was done, either not washing it, or not sizing bare plaster, or not breaking the glaze of an even earlier coat.... So many possibilities.

You're going to have to remove all of the old paint, I'm afraid. :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you again for all your help. It's a big bedroom so has taken a long time to do the 80% I've pulled off so far. It just feels so strange to peel matt vinyl paint off walls.

Ask a Question