Paint preparation of bathroom walls containing different materials

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hi, my bathroom walls were covered with wallpaper but this was in really poor shape (cracks and debonding). So I decided to remove the wallpaper and paint the walls (what is not covered by tiles) and the ceiling. As I am not experienced in house renovation, I got stuck with some decisions and wanted to ask your opinion.

After removing the wallpaper I could see the structure of the different elements and as they are made of different material, and close or far from exterior conditions, I don't know how to take care of the intersections between these elements so that the renovation performs well in time (different humidity, temperature, elongation levels).

The vertical walls show some plaster or cement (2-3cm thick) layed on the building bricks. I don't know the coret term for this material. The ceiling is made of drywall panels. The ceiling has insulation on it, on the attic side. Attic is not used for living as there is no insulation there. There is also a component above the windows made of compressed wood boards. There is a curent of air coming from the joining lines of all these materials and this is why I think they are going to expand and behave differently in time as cold comes from outside meeting the heat from inside ....

My idea was to put plaster on the walls and ceiling to get a good finish and then paint. But I believe plaster won't stick to the compressed wood, especially as one side is laminated. What would be good to use for this wood area? Maybe use some wood filling compound to smooth everything and paint over it? I also saw online that corners are usually prepared with paper bands during plaster application. My question is, in the corners joining two different materials, would this be a good idea? Will paper support all this stress from the weather and different elongation? Or is there another material to use here?

I post a picture in a corner where you can see the joining between plaster wall, drywall ceiling and wood casing above windows. There is also another photo showing the presence of a gap (a few mm) between wall and ceiling. I suppose this can be filled with plaster and then hidden by the paper.

Attachments

Reaction score
I would try using tape and dry wall compound. That stuff seems pretty forgiving of a lot of issues and its easy to work with. Prime everything with shellac based primer

Ask a Question