Bathroom wall paint suddenly appears patchy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

One of my bathroom walls is an external Victorian wall. It’s been damped checked etc. It was previously painted with matt emulsion with no problems, however I got same colour in Dulux bathroom paint and painted it in that in August.

It looked absolutely fine, until about 2 weeks ago, at the same time it seems the weather got substantially colder (might be irrelevant).

Now it appears patchy all over! It’s been fine since I painted it, until about 2 weeks ago. (The image uploads sideways for some reason)

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a similar situation with my kitchen ceiling but unfortunately I never managed to sort it out. It seemed like areas where soaking the paint up more than others. I tried applying paint sealant and many coats of Dulux but nothing worked. I think in my case I would need to get a plasterer in to skim the ceiling and that would hopefully sort it out. I cannot think of anything else
Cheers
Dave

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve sorted it! After some monumental research, it’s something called Surfactant Leaching

By definition, Surfactant leaching of acrylic paints, also known as streak staining, streaking, weeping, exudation, patches etc., occurs when the freshly painted surface becomes wet and water-soluble components of the paint leach out of the paint in sticky brown streaks

I got a new fibre cloth and washed the wall with warm water a couple of times and problem solved!

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had the exact same problem with Dulux Diamond Trade paint in a bathroom, it was even a similar paint colour!

The problem came back about 5 times over the coming months, with decreasing regularity. After a while it disappeared - so you may need to wipe it down a few more times!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Ian
Thanks for the info. I have never tried wiping the ceiling down prior to applying the paint. I will give it a go
Cheers

Ask a Question