Bathroom walls

Reaction score
So my tiling is falling off the bathroom walls m, at first I thought it was cement underneath but it’s just drywall (see pic) the drywall paper came off with the tiles. My question is if I take all the tiles off to replace with something else like paint or different tiles, do I need to replace the drywall? Can I just go over it after repairing the chipped areas?

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
United States
Tiling a bathroom is something that many people don’t feel very confident about doing for themselves. If you don’t know where going to start, you can hire a tile contractor to help speed up the process.

Reaction score
No I would not try to tile it. I want to remove them and just paint the wall

Reaction score
You could consider a couple of options?

1/. Remove the remaining tiles, knock off any remaining bits of tile adhesive, then skim the Drywall and paint.

2/. As above regards the tiles and remaining adhesive then, apply a second layer of Drywall, fills and finish then paint?

A lot will depend on the fixtures such as showers, toilets Etc that are mounted on the wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, it looks as though you have damp ingress due to water staining on the substrate and salt coming through the wall. I assume it’s adjacent to an external wall? Check externally to confirm if rain water has sufficient slope to run away from the property. damp from somewhere appears to be the obvious culprit. If you wish to paint, you will probably have to overboard or skim.

Ask a Question