Back Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ..After some advice wanting to change a back door to upvc .. which I’ll try myself
Q: does this piece of concrete need to go , and what will replace it , please see pictures any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks .
Q:
EB63E736-2A6E-464F-B343-E1D6C7847994.jpeg
EB63E736-2A6E-464F-B343-E1D6C7847994.jpeg
940DA2C1-F20B-4AFA-99F7-4E25F3FAF20D.jpeg

Reaction score
Hi again, you've asked this question once to which I responded.

You aren't going to get a weatherproof seal against an old door frame, it has to go.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi again, you've asked this question once to which I responded.

You aren't going to get a weatherproof seal against an old door frame, it has to go.
I know thought I’d put it in wrong group .

am asking if concrete can go not to keep it .. or any of it frame included! .

Reaction score
I know thought I’d put it in wrong group .

am asking if concrete can go not to keep it .. or any of it frame included! .
I can see there's a crack in the concrete, but it's probably been like that for decades. The frame's shot.

The UPVC door will have a frame the bottom of which will sit on top of the concrete.
You could once the door and frame are in, tidy up the look of the concrete, by applying a coat of sand and cement render.

You'll need to be very accurate with your measurements. get a bit of 3" X 2" and cut it to the width of the of the door and use it to see how and where the bottom of the frame will sit on the concrete sill. Then measure from the top of the old frame to the bottom of that bit of wood.

Check the height and width carefully, because the aperture might not be completely square, so the frame needs to be the width and height at the narrowest and shortest point. It might only be a few milimetres, but if at any point the frame is too wide or too high it won't go in.

It's best not to be a tight fit as you can pack out the fixing screws with a few washers, if necessary when you secure it. You'll be running beads of silicone around both sides and underneath of the frame, between it and the brickwork and concrete sill, to make it watertight.

Last edited:

Ask a Question