removable rails for outdoor deck/platform

Reaction score
My school in Florida wants to build a large (24' x 30') platform out of Trex or similar that can be used for classes or as a performance stage. They want it to have rails (maybe vinyl picket fence sections?) around all four sides (with an entry section where steps and a ramp will access the structure) BUT want to be able to remove 24' of railing from one side when in use as a stage. Ideally these rails would look similar to what's going around the rest of the deck.

I'm wondering how to deal with the removable rail section. I can envision three or four fence sections whose end posts drop into round holes at the deck perimeter. [There's have to be a way to connect them together as well.] I can also picture two double-fold gate sections (two 6' fence pieces per side). I'm not sure how this could be made sturdy when deployed across the opening, though.

Anyone have any ideas? Many thanks.

Ask a Question