Attaching hooks to underside of stone surface, without drilling

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a small pond in our back garden, but we've had problems with herons eating our fish - so we're putting a net in place to try and prevent it from happening again. This seems like the only sure way of stopping it, but I want to try and do it so that it's as unobtrusive as possible and easy to remove as needed.

There's a 50mm lip from the coping over the pond, so I'd like to affix the net under here. My thoughts are that if I add hooks at intervals around the pond (it's only a couple of meters long), I should be able to stretch the net over the surface of the water. Normally, I'd just drill and add the hooks that way, but they are reasonably fragile and I'd hate to have to re-lay them after only just doing it a couple of months back. I know that a frame would be easier, but it wouldn't look as unobtrusive if it covered the whole pond.

What would you use to attach hooks to the underside of one of these copings without drilling? They will no doubt get wet from rain and pond splashes.

I'd be really interested to hear your ideas and thoughts on this one, as I want to make sure I get it right first time. Here's a quick sketch of the pond:

Pond.jpg

Reaction score
Hi Ian

It's such a shame to have to net a pond. I remember trying to sort out the very same thing some years ago. My pond was the same shape as yours, but a lot bigger. I think I tried just about everything to stop the herons. Ended up with what was really a modified electric fence with the supports for the wires drilled in just below the lip. Eventually got fed up with the slight noise that created (and the fried snails) By that time the fish had got so big no heron had a chance.

Here's one idea that with a 50mm lip you may get away with - - Take some treated timber, only something like 25x25 or 19x25 screw in some hooks, and fix under the lip with solvent free Gripfill or similar, a couple of clamps may be needed for a while till set. I doubt if that would be all that visible.

I can't think of any hooks that would work on their own, they would have to have a very large surface area for adhesive use.

If you have to resort to a frame, how about making it from 15mm copper, a lot less obtrusive than timber. I've seen it done, not bad if you can sort of sew the net on.

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think I may go down the treated timber route - it's the only reliable way I can think of whilst training to keep the aesthetics.

I'm currently testing some glue I saw at Wilkinsons which proudly announces that it sticks to stone, glass, some plastics, metal, etc... It's water proof too. I'm going a test bond with some hooks to a small piece of flat slate. It takes 24h to fully cure, so I'll see how it holds tomorrow. If it does, I'll try sticking some of these plastic hooks directly underneath the lip and see if they stay put.

I've also considered using some black conduit and making a frame that I can just drop in the water - I've got about 20m of the stuff in the garage, so I could do with using it up!

Reaction score
Hi Ian
I think herons always walk to the edge of ponds and don't land in them. My father in law have had the same problem, he solved it by running a couple of lines of clear fishing line around the edge of the pond. Herons can't bend their knees so they can't step over the lines. Support this with some clear Perspex rods placed around the outside of the pond. This worked for us.
Adam

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Adam, I'll have to look in to that!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The hooks didn't work well enough after all (the hooks held, but the mesh couldn't be pulled tight enough without sag). I've resorted to building a slim fitting frame after all, using some PVC corner to sit on the lip:

pvc corner.jpg

Oh well, worth a shot :).

Reaction score
I've got a small pond in our back garden, but we've had problems with herons eating our fish - so we're putting a net in place to try and prevent it from happening again. This seems like the only sure way of stopping it, but I want to try and do it so that it's as unobtrusive as possible and easy to remove as needed.

There's a 50mm lip from the coping over the pond, so I'd like to affix the net under here. My thoughts are that if I add hooks at intervals around the pond (it's only a couple of meters long), I should be able to stretch the net over the surface of the water. Normally, I'd just drill and add the hooks that way, but they are reasonably fragile and I'd hate to have to re-lay them after only just doing it a couple of months back. I know that a frame would be easier, but it wouldn't look as unobtrusive if it covered the whole pond.

What would you use to attach hooks to the underside of one of these copings without drilling? They will no doubt get wet from rain and pond splashes.

I'd be really interested to hear your ideas and thoughts on this one, as I want to make sure I get it right first time. Here's a quick sketch of the pond:

View attachment 161
You can simply glue your hooks that could be in the form of light ceiling rose (brass?) Take a cotton cleaning pad, obtain a pack of www.x-seal.co.uk A-120C. Mix approx 10ml of product, saturate cotton wool and hold in place with rose until it cures - 3 mins approx.

Ask a Question