Advice Removed 1930 tiled fireplace surround and fireback

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I've removed a 1930s tiled fireplace surround and fireback i just want to block it. I've removed it all and had to remove the fire back and some side bricks, it had a 10mm thickness beam across the chimney how safe is this will it support chimney breast. Any advice much appreciated photos below

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. Although the current support will probably be sufficient for your needs, technically building regs dictate you must replace it with a structural lintel with the appropriate British standard kite mark. You should follow the official guidance in relation to the load bearing assessment method also. To ensure preservation methods are adhered to for longevity of the job, a moisture test of the internal walls is useful. Any reading over and above around twenty percent may mean the walls have to be injected prior to blocking. as you’re probably aware you will have to place a rain cap on the chimney also and vent the wall when complete. Your local council will have a representative who can come to advise, however beware.....they can be very pedantic which may cost you more money in the long Run.

Ask a Question