Heat Pump Design Advice

Reaction score
Country
United States
TLDR; Critique my design/plan!? Please and thank you!

Main.png

Upper.png

I'm in the upper Midwest so we have extremes at both ends (temps below in F). It's a 1901 home with little/no wall or roof insulation. Where we can, we'll be adding in roof insulation for the upper level. Some upper level walls have old and poorly done paneling, so as those rooms get renovated, we'll add wall insulation where it makes sense.
  • Summer Outdoor: 98 deg
  • Summer Indoor: 69 deg
  • Winter Outdoor: 11 deg - 10 year lows, (been as low as 4 deg this year)
  • Winter Indoor: 71 deg
I got quotes for this install ranging from $60k-$110k, but it's unfortunately un-affordable for me at this time, so DIY it is. The individual room sizing that I got were relatively close to the the quoted sizes by professionals, with the exception of some rooms that I went down to 6k units (didn't exist at the time) and they listed 9k. In looking for general critiques and pointing out any glaring issues, I was hoping for input on specific items:

• I listed multiple sizes for units on the upper level because I don't have a good feel for heat loss and what I should plan for in the upper levels. Am I being overly conservative? I understand that under-sizing or over-sizing my system both have their draw backs. For the rooms themselves, I don't mind being a little conservative, but it compounds when totaling for the condenser.
  • I currently have my heads/condenser split between doing the upper floor and ground level. Layout-wise, I think it's feasible for me to branch to bedroom 1 with the "main level" condenser. It adds to the demand on the one condenser and lowers it on another. With this many heads, I've heard people recommend using a different condenser for each level. I wonder if it'd be more beneficial to split the load a little if it's really imbalanced between the two condensers?
  • There's a possibility of adding 2 smallish heads to my basement way off in the future. If I size my condensers that now, how dramatically with that impact my current performance?
  • Any recommendations for really reliable and quiet condensate pumps?

Much thanks in advanced!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dang...I posted this in the wrong sub. I'm not able to find where I can delete this. Mods can you delete this thread? Or move to Forums/DIY-Forums/Central Heating ?

Ask a Question