Isolate gas furnace to stand-alone in heatpump split-unit installation

Reaction score
Is there any reason why the outdoor compressor unit must run in winter when all heat can come from the inside gas furnace? The units operate from the same thermostat. The circuit is 24v, originating from a transformer in the outside unit. It would seem that the coil wires to the compressor and fan relays could be interrupted so the thermostate could continue to manage the furnace alone without engaging the outside motors, thus eliminating the electrrical cost of running them needlessly. Is there a reader with experience and the knowledge to give reliable comment, please? Many thanks!

Reaction score
Our heatpump would shut off and the furnace would come on so your situation sounds odd. Frankly, we got rid of the heatpump and just use a a high seer ac and furnace and love it. We went against advice and downsized 1 ton, and the bill dropped 100 bucks a month.

Reaction score
Our heatpump would shut off and the furnace would come on so your situation sounds odd. Frankly, we got rid of the heatpump and just use a a high seer ac and furnace and love it. We went against advice and downsized 1 ton, and the bill dropped 100 bucks a month.
Thanks for your comment. I'm pretty sure I can do a work-around on this but thought someone might know some reason why not. A friend who is tops on HVAC stuff has told me to proceed - no reason for compressor to run. I have a good furnace. 1oldchap

Ask a Question