Advice on downpipe filters for waterbutt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wall mounted water butt is used for watering my garden via a submersible pump and hosepipe connection.

The supply from the downpipe is a mixture of rainwater and grey water from my bathroom as the bathroom downpipe feed into a reservoir on the guttering downpipe. I only use eco friendly toiletries so the butt water is OK for plants.

I have attached 2 pics of the water butt setup I use, although it is from the manufacturer's website.

1000002870.jpg
1000002871.jpg

The downpipe is currently diverted directly into the butt with no filter. This is causing some obvious sediment issues, both from leaf matter and the grey water. The design of the butt is such that the overflow is inside the butt itself (see diagram). The filter for the pump is getting clogged up so I want to at least reduce the sediment going into the butt.

There is a clear vertical path to the drain, should I need to put in a traditional diverter with a filter but am not sure if the inpipe to the butt supports that as water level in the butt has no bearing on the overflow.... basic physics may clarify but for some reason, trying to work that out hurts my head. It would also need a join for the overflow at the bottom should the solution require such a pipe extension.

I would like some decent quality filter in the downpipe before the butt to get rid of some of the garbage but not sure what to go for.

My downpipe is a uk 64mm round pipe and that is the same for the diverter in and the overflow out.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just to clarify one sentence:

"as water level in the butt has no bearing on the overflow of a traditional pre-butt diverter"

Ask a Question