Advice needed - a hinged slatted screen

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey all,

Amateur hour over here, but that's why I'm asking for some helpful suggestions!

I'm hoping you might have some advice for the best way to tackle this. I'd love the end result to be a vertical slatted hinged door finished in matt black that hides this stuff away but still provides easy access. What's the best way to make it happen?

The factors are:
- ignore the brackets at the top, they can come off and were part of the previous owner's solution
- the hinge would need to start about 260mm off the back wall to close flat
- the side wall sounds hollow behind the render so doesn't seem to be a good anchor point, meaning a reliance on building a fair way out from the back wall.
- there's some permanent piping etc. down low on the right hand side that means a four side box frame won't be possible

Would a three side box frame (with the bottom braced as opposed to fully framed to avoid the obstructions and then a slatted door hinged off that be my best bet?

Could a simpler solution be attaching a very (260mm) deep piece of pine to the back wall on the left hand side (by attaching a pine baton to the wall and fixing the larger piece of timber to that) and hinge directly off that without the need for the rest of the frame? Would that be strong enough to hold a hinged door despite the sideways movement?

Would really appreciate useful suggestions - thanks! (image attached)

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all,

Amateur hour over here, but that's why I'm asking for some helpful suggestions!

I'm hoping you might have some advice for the best way to tackle this. I'd love the end result to be a vertical slatted hinged door finished in matt black that hides this stuff away but still provides easy access. What's the best way to make it happen?

The factors are:
- ignore the brackets at the top, they can come off and were part of the previous owner's solution
- the hinge would need to start about 260mm off the back wall to close flat
- the side wall sounds hollow behind the render so doesn't seem to be a good anchor point, meaning a reliance on building a fair way out from the back wall.
- there's some permanent piping etc. down low on the right hand side that means a four side box frame won't be possible

Would a three side box frame (with the bottom braced as opposed to fully framed to avoid the obstructions and then a slatted door hinged off that be my best bet?

Could a simpler solution be attaching a very (260mm) deep piece of pine to the back wall on the left hand side (by attaching a pine baton to the wall and fixing the larger piece of timber to that) and hinge directly off that without the need for the rest of the frame? Would that be strong enough to hold a hinged door despite the sideways movement?

Would really appreciate useful suggestions - thanks! (image attached)

Being from the USA I'll use our lumber terms. :)
Why not just make a 2 x 4 frame attached to both side walls at the front. Then just add light weight door to either side. The vertical slatted door sounds like a custom made item.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Thanks Norm, Unfortunately the side walls aren't really side walls. The one on the left hand side is hollow cladding that won't hold a frame sturdy enough to hinge from, and the right hand side is a water tank, leaving only the solid brick wall at the back to build off.

Reaction score
Country
United States
In that case you will need to build a free standing frame just deep enough to stand on it's own.

Ask a Question