Wiring in a High Power Hob and Double Oven

Reaction score
Hi

I am installing a double oven (6.74kW) and high powered hob (6.9kW). There is currently a 32A breaker at the CU with 6mm cable running over about 8m to the ccu.

My question is this: since the maximum current requirement of each appliance is just under 32A - do I need a separate feed from the CU for each? I have heard of diversity, but do not know how to apply it and also heard that it does not apply to ovens - only to standard 13A plates.

My gut feeling is to install a second 6mm feed from a new 32A breaker, trouble is then I will need two DP isolators - do any suppliers do dual 32A DP cooker isolators?

Alternative is to upgrade the cable to 10mm and the breaker to 40A or 50A and then run both cooker and hob from one dual outlet - which would allow the use of one switch. Does anyone have any comments on this? I would still be short of the maximum theoretical 62A.

N.b. I have assumed worst-case mains of 220V for the calculations.

Any comments and guidance much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Ask a Question