Wiring a new metal light fitting

Reaction score
Hi all

New poster here...

I'm replacing the main light in our sitting room at the moment with a metal chandelier type (a B&Q 'Eva' chandelier). The wires dangling from the ceiling are:

- Bare copper earth
- Red
- Black
- Red with black tape (presumably for switching)

The light fitting has the new colours and has live, neutral & earth all screwed into a 4 slot terminal box strip, with one slot free.

I've matched up black & neutral, copper & earth, and the switched red & black to the live, and have put the red to the remaining spare slot.

The light however, doesn't work. Is my wiring ok, or should I be looking for another issue?

Cheers

Last edited:
Reaction score
I should probably just clarify what I mean by 'doesn't work'...!

In the room with the light I am changing there are wall lights also. The wall lights do not now switch on - previously they did and the main light did not.

I worked out that the main lights didn't work as the bulbs had blown that came with it. I found a bulb which fitted it, and the main light now seems to work...but on the switch that previously controlled the wall lights, and now the wall lights don't work!

Any help?

Reaction score
A further development... if I screw all the non-working bulbs back into the main light, with one of the bulbs (which does work) in there too, now none of them work and the wall lights do!

I suspect my wiring may be scrambled. Any takers for this one?

Ask a Question