Wiring a chime doorbell

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone,

I made a mistake not taking a picture of the chime before dismantling the whole thing. I tried to rewire it again and I think I burned the transformer.

This happened when I tried to install the nest hello. I know two of the wires are from the transformers and the other two are going to the doorbell button.
Thanks!

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I am a Master Electrician. From looking at this picture, there is no way to determine which pair of wires (red and white conductor colors) is from the transformer or the exterior pushbutton (doorbell button). If you have a small cheap electrical meter, find the setting that "beeps" when the two meter leads are touched together. Touch the meter test leads to one pair of red/white at your doorbell chime, then get someone to depress and hold the doorbell button. You will it hear the meter beep....if not, try the other pair of red/white wires at the chime.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am a Master Electrician. From looking at this picture, there is no way to determine which pair of wires (red and white conductor colors) is from the transformer or the exterior pushbutton (doorbell button). If you have a small cheap electrical meter, find the setting that "beeps" when the two meter leads are touched together. Touch the meter test leads to one pair of red/white at your doorbell chime, then get someone to depress and hold the doorbell button. You will it hear the meter beep....if not, try the other pair of red/white wires at the chime.
Thanks for the reply.

Let's say the two on the right are from the transformer and the other two going to the doorbell. Where do I connect each one on the chime?

Update,,
I connected the doorbell to the two wires on the right and I think those are the two coming from the transformer so I'm guessing the other two going to the doorbell

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Provided you know that the pair on the right is 16vac power, then see the following:

You have nine (9) terminals (1 thru 9) on your door chime, counting from left to right.

Put the 16vac power pair (as you say, they are on the right) on terminals #2 and #3. Don't matter red and white on #2, or #3....either way will work as it's AC. Reversing them is fine.

Put the contact pair (remaining pair, on the left) on terminals #1 and either #7, #8, or #9 (depending on where the actual door is.....front, intermediate, rear). Don't matter red and white on #1, or #7,8,9....either way will work as it's AC. Reversing them is fine.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Provided you know that the pair on the right is 16vac power, then see the following:

You have nine (9) terminals (1 thru 9) on your door chime, counting from left to right.

Put the 16vac power pair (as you say, they are on the right) on terminals #2 and #3. Don't matter red and white on #2, or #3....either way will work as it's AC. Reversing them is fine.

Put the contact pair (remaining pair, on the left) on terminals #1 and either #7, #8, or #9 (depending on where the actual door is.....front, intermediate, rear). Don't matter red and white on #1, or #7,8,9....either way will work as it's AC. Reversing them is fine.
It worked!!Thank you so much !
My next step is to figure out how to install the stupid nest hello, but this time I'm going to take a picture before I do anything silly lol

Ask a Question