Windscreen cover.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I think we've just enjoyed a long hot summer here in Yorkshire it lasting an whole two full days of glorious bright sunshine.

Our Skoda Yeti has full leather interior so in order to afford it some protection on these rare days I made a windscreen cover costing nothing; An old double bed sheet was folded in half; heavy cotton tape was used for ties these tightly wrapped around two of the corners leaving long tags.

March 31  2021 (4).JPG

The cotton tapes secure the two corners to the front door handles using a bow knot for quick release the bottom of the cover simply tucks under the wiper blades. I made the cover a few years ago and neighbours were quick as usual to follow my lead. The double sheet fits perfectly.

Just a very simple job; not only does the cover protect the upholstery it actually lowers the temperature in the car too. The Yeti is five years old it having paint treatment from new but I enjoy keeping it looking good with regular washing and polishing; I've just been using this which was recommended by a forum member and I like it;

1617272834797.png

Just passing a bit of time.

Kind regards, Colin.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A squeaky clean car!

I have to confess to rarely cleaning my car - perhaps 3/4 times per year, as needed. It's silver so seems to hide any dirt quite well!

Does that polish make a big difference? I generally just give it a good clean with some snow foam and pressure washer, but it only gets a polish when it comes back from the MOT.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Ian. :)

I've always looked after our cars ensuring they are in top class order and clean. I wash and dry our Yeti at least once each week more often if it's been on a dirty journey. The Yeti had its bodywork and upholstery protected from new with a lifetime guarantee but I still polish it. Our previous Skoda Fabia Monte Carlo also had bodywork and upholstery treated both the Fabia and Yeti bought new came with complimentary car cleaning products as seen below in the pictures.

It's just the way I was taught to be neat and tidy in everything I do; my workshop is tidier than many homes I've been in; our gardens and bungalow are very well maintained; rubbish is immediately disposed of; a short while ago I even pressure washed our bungalow roof. I can't do good work in clutter; my tools and machines are all in top condition bladed tools are always kept sharp; I know how to use an oil can too.

Of all the places to be taught to be neat and tidy I was taught down a deep coal mine from the age of 15 and it's stuck with me. It does take a bit of time to keep things in order but to me it's well worth it; we're all different and I've been in workshops where I've not known to put my feet and had to watch my head for things hanging down but tidiness was roughly beaten into me whilst I was an apprentice.

Our car is our second biggest purchase the bungalow the most expensive but new cars aren't cheap so why not take care of them. Cleaning the car is more of a chore in bad weather but on a rare sunny day I enjoy doing it and it's always nice to stand back to admire our five year old Yeti still looking brand new. It's soul destroying though to spend a lot of time cleaning and polishing the car only for the next morning to see a Pterodactyl has done the usual bombing run it's just the same with the gardens; graft for hours on end only for the local cats; squirrels; birds; and even badgers to spoil everything; my wife and I would never hurt anything but often I've felt like buying a machine gun.

Car care._0001.JPG

A few of the car care products I use.

Car care._0002.JPG

Here's the Lifeshine posh holdall supplied with our Yeti.
Car care._0003.JPG

Here's the Lifeshine holdall supplied with our Fabia.
Car care._0004.JPG

If the car isn't too dirty I use Williams waterless wash and shine applied with a microfibre cloth then buffed.
Car care._0008.JPG

Here's the wheel cleaner.
Car care._0009.JPG

The complimentary car care supplied with the Yeti. Our Yeti has full leather interior and even leather balm is supplied.
Car care._0010.JPG

A big pack of large micro fibre cloths I buy from Rufforth Auto Jumble I think this pack cost £20 making it excellent value. When I use a new micro fibre cloth I always remove the small tag which is attached by simply ripping it off.

It does take a bit of time to keep the car looking like new but I don't go mad spending forever washing and polishing; a couple of hours each week including checking tyre pressures and fluid levels isn't excessive. Automatic tyre pressure sensors are fitted but I still check the tyres weekly; I won't just rely on an indicator lighting up on the dash; this won't indicate other tyre faults like a split or bulge.

To finally answer your question Ian as to polish making a difference;

Polishing is only part of car care; I used to own my own garage business during my twenties many years ago but these days our car is main dealer looked after having a full service history and anything at all needing doing it gets done; recently a new "special" battery was fitted costing £286 at the Skoda main dealership; our Yeti has the stop/start function showing how modern cars bump up prices of simple replacement parts.

I'm a member of a Skoda forum and there's always lots of discussion about trading in but many Yeti owners are deciding to keep their Yeti because there's nothing currently on the market to tempt them to change. To trade our Yeti in would mean spending around £14,000 an amount that could buy many spares and repairs; our Yeti has already suffered most of it's depreciation during the five years so unless it starts to cost a fortune in repairs it gets cheaper each passing year to own and run; in July this year it needs a new cam belt and water pump and at the same time it will have a service and MOT with the main dealer collecting from our home and returning it all for £826, next year all being well it will be much cheaper again just needing a service and MOT. We travel less than 7,000 miles each year and although we can easily afford to buy a new car would we be just throwing money away to show off to our neighbours? We love our Yeti and its a keeper.

Everything I do I do to the best of my ability with no shortcuts or bodging second best or compromise aren't options. I enjoy grafting and being busy it keeps me young and active. ;)

After two days of 20C it's now 10C so much colder hence I'm passing a bit of time rambling on but today I'll be pottering in the workshop.

Kind regards, Colin.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm like you Ian. Ours is a light blue metallic and looks clean all year round. The garage who do my MOT clean it afterwards and do a far better job than I could.

ColinA

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got that same AutoGlym red kit for my car - I think I got it as a gift about 10 years ago and I've been slowly working my way though it. I think I can get another 5 years out of it, which may give you a clue on how often I get round to it ;). The interior is a different matter though, as that is always pretty clean. I have a kit of Wilko car dash and leather wipes in the car, so I give it a quick once over if it needs it.

The garage who do my MOT clean it afterwards and do a far better job than I could.
It's my favourite part of the garage trip :D.

Ask a Question