What type of bolt is this?

Reaction score
Hello fellows

I'm trying to repair a chair I bought a while ago and I've come across this bolt. It's weird as it's threaded by the head but smooth by the tail.its serves as an axis for the chair to recline on. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what type of bolt this is? I think that I can fix the entire chair if I can just get a longer bolt of this type.

Thanks for any advice in advance

Cheers

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

It's a special "pan or button head machine screw" and you'll be unlikely to source something similar over the counter? However these come in lots of lengths so it's possible to buy one extra long with the correct sized thread which most likely will be metric and file away the unwanted thread then cut to desired length; extra length will allow the screw to be nipped in a vice whilst cutting it to length without damage to the wanted screw. File the end neatly to remove the burr;

Not sure what size to ask for? Please see the video above; if the maximum diameter of the thread is say 6mm then it's a 6mm and if in doubt you could buy a selection because these screws are cheap enough.

I have a metal lathe so it would be easy enough to select a long high tensile set screw with hex head and remove unwanted thread then turn the head to the shape needed finally adding an hacksaw cut to accept a screwdriver?

Kind regards, Colin.

Attachments

Ask a Question