What to do with a badly stained marble tiled flooring in a bathroom.

Reaction score
As per the attached pics, my marble tiled flooring looks horrendous. The rest of the bathroom, the tiled walls, basin, bath, toilet, walls etc are absolutely fine but need to either remove or ideally cover this monstrosity. I believe the marble tiles have been laid onto a plywood/chipboard base on top of timber joists as I had underfloor heating installed as well so cannot be concrete, I believe. (I am not bothered about the underfloor heating as never really worked well and it is only a small area that a bath mat can be warm underfoot). I would prefer to be able to screed or lay something over the existing floor rather than chip it all out and start again. It is also uneven in places which is an added complication. Any advice would be really appreciated?
[/IMG]

Reaction score
I think you can tile over the existing one. Just ensure the old surface is not loose or backing is rotted.

Reaction score
Thanks Sandy. Of all the ideas I came up with this was not one of them and it makes sense. I believe the existing tiles and what is underneath is fine as seems sturdy and the edges/grouting seem to be sealed well unlike the actual tiles. Spilling bleach on it didnt help either. Cheers

Ask a Question