Plastering gone wrong (badly)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
I have had a plasterer in for last couple of days. I have previously used the same guy with very good results so was trusted to work for me again. I think he sent an employee rather than do it himself On coming home tonight after being away for a few days I find the 2 rooms he was asked to plaster are basically an absolute disgrace. Running a 6ft level across the walls there is up to a 3mm "dip" in places. I have not yet confronted the builder but want to know where I go from here regards sorting out the plaster. Is there anyway fresh plaster could possibly be added to fill out hollows or am I going to have to remove the plasterboard and plaster and start again. 4 walls are affected in the 2 rooms (biggest walls typically) with all others being good. The walls are all new studwork and plasterboard.. I'm probably more after advice so I don't get BS from the builder and can tell him what to do about it. Any help appreciated, Thanks.

Reaction score
My brother has been a drywaller for 40 years. Before he takes a job he will go in and see how straight the wall studs are. If the studs are not aligned properly the drywall will be wavy. He has encountered houses with walls so bad that he has had to use firing strips and shims to level the wall. This is really your builders problem, but I see a lot of finger pointing in your future. Good luck.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the replies. We have decided to accept the loss and take the walls out again and get a highly recommended plasterer in to complete correctly. Luckily we have the time to wait till he's available and materials wasted weren't that expensive. Previous plasterer has refunded 50% of his charge after agreeing it was not an acceptable finish, on condition I don't name and shame. I hate any form of confrontation so was glad on this outcome as expected nothing. Rest assured my friends and family won't be using him. My other planned projects will be put on hold unless I decide to tackle them myself, due to funding new plastering.

Ask a Question