What is your pet peeve?

Reaction score
There are a lot of things that tick me off in the DIY realm but one of my major ones is tools on the floor. I don’t know why but I can’t stand it when people don’t put tools away. If you ever walk in my shop and see tools on the floor, get your good suit out because it means I am dead and you will have to go to my funeral. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For me, it's bodging a job when the consequences are going to be a 10x fold payback in the future.

I've been decorating the past couple of weeks and I must have spent 2 days making good on work that should have been done correctly in the first place - someone had used cheap deep filler around trim, rather than a flexible filler/sealant. It took ages to remove the stuff and do it properly, as it took chunks of plaster away from the wall when trying to remove it. They probably saved 10 mins and a few quid on the job, but it took 2 days to put right :rolleyes:.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Help for criminals but no help for victims. Do gooders standing up for low life.

DIY'ers not wanting to pay much for tools hence low quality tools possibly for the reason Doghouse describes above.

Like you Doug I have a place for everything and everything in its place not only in the workshop but in the bungalow and both sheds. The only time I have tools on the floor is if I'm working on the floor; I keep my machine beds clear of debris and try to keep bench tops clear. Tools with cutting edges must be sharp or remain unused until sharpened; dust pan and hand brush often used and big brush used for the floor. Tripping hazards are avoided such as trailing cables. All electrics must be safe including temporary wiring. Fire hazards are avoided especially whilst welding. Lifting and climbing kit fit for purpose and in top condition.

Do the job once but do the job correctly as you rightly say Ian; it's cheapest long term; bodging not allowed and use the best quality materials; why spend forever on prepping then slap on the cheapest paint. If unsure don't do it do some research such as asking on this forum or watching YouTube videos but be careful of YouTube videos many offer/demonstrate unsafe working practices (Saw benches without riving knife installed).

Tool suppliers selling very dangerous tools to an absolute novice such as chain and circular saws; it's time such sellers were forced by law to ensure basic safety standards were known before accepting the money and handing over the machine. It will soon be A&E season when all the novices hurt themselves?

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Do not borrow my tools. I would rather do it for you.
In his early twenties our youngest son bought his first house, a two up-two down terraced in Edgley. As he had no real DIY skills at the time, I helped him split the second bedroom into a single bedroom and bathroom. We also took out a chimney breast in that room.
Years later he sold that and bought a nice Victorian terraced in Urmston. By now he was able to tackle any DIY job.
On a visit I happened to look in the third bedroom where he was in the middle of renovating it...and found half the tools I thought I'd just lost!

Reaction score
In his early twenties our youngest son bought his first house, a two up-two down terraced in Edgley. As he had no real DIY skills at the time, I helped him split the second bedroom into a single bedroom and bathroom. We also took out a chimney breast in that room.
Years later he sold that and bought a nice Victorian terraced in Urmston. By now he was able to tackle any DIY job.
On a visit I happened to look in the third bedroom where he was in the middle of renovating it...and found half the tools I thought I'd just lost!
One of the reasons I have so many ryobi battery tools is the simple fact that they are not so expensive to replace when one of my highly trained operatives manages to leave them in a mud puddle.

Reaction score
I too am very tidy and put everything in its place and it drives me nuts when I don't find it where it's supposed to be.

Ask a Question