Replacing square edge carpet trim around trap door opening..

Reaction score
Hello all. We have had our hall carpet replaced, but the fitter did not do a good job fittting the aluminium trim around the trap door opening. It is dented, and not square. As a result I have to yank the trap door open, and force it down to close. He is not keen on returning to sort it out either. I imagine that the whole carpet around the area of the trap door hole has to be lifted to replace the trim? Or is there an easy solution maybe? Thanks!
IMGP7376.JPG

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you can't open it, I'd make sure that the fitter does come back to sort his work out - it's not ok to leave it like that.

I don't think you'd need to lift the carpet if you did replace it yourself. You'd likely just pull the trim up, cut the carpet evenly with a Stanley knife, then put down new trim. However, you'd need to be careful so that you don't cut too much away. You'd also need to right tools to neatly cut the aluminium profile and get it to stay in place (which I why I definitely think that the fitter should be fixing this without charge).

Reaction score
If you can't open it, I'd make sure that the fitter does come back to sort his work out - it's not ok to leave it like that.

I don't think you'd need to lift the carpet if you did replace it yourself. You'd likely just pull the trim up, cut the carpet evenly with a Stanley knife, then put down new trim. However, you'd need to be careful so that you don't cut too much away. You'd also need to right tools to neatly cut the aluminium profile and get it to stay in place (which I why I definitely think that the fitter should be fixing this without charge).
Thanks Ian. I don't really want the same fitter back, to be honest. Not sure I would do the job myself, perhaps find a good local fitter who can. Some of the ali trim was screwed and pinned down. Not sure how easy it would come up with the carpet still in place. It's a shame, I was hoping to make a bit of a feature of the trap door. Made the locking door myself with left over flooring from the kitchen, mitering the ali trim with a chop saw. Cheers.

Reactions: Ian

Ask a Question