Solution for slidey carpet stairs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My stair carpet has become slidey over the years so looking for a solution without losing the carpet. I looked up nosing but the angle of the nosing probably wouldn’t work with the way the carpet has been fitted (the edges are too rounded)
Are there any other solutions suitable? Eg non slip tape which can be attached to carpet? I couldn’t find anything on google :(

Attachments

Reaction score
Hi and welcome
A reason for carpet on stairs to get slippery is the accumulation of grease. It's common practice with carpeted houses for people to walk around in bare feet or just in socks, this will transfer grease onto the carpet, particularly on the nosings, it's unavoidable.

In my opinion, one solution is to give it a really good clean with carpet shampoo, but as the nosings get the most wear, they will stll be more slippery than anywhere else and may not cure it.
The other solution is to replace the carpet.
I wouldn't recomend attaching anything to the nosings as it could become a trip hazard.

Reaction score
Agree with Riley, but what it's made of is a factor. If it's synthetic, then these are inherently slippery to start with. Wool might respond to cleaning.
Stairs are such a danger, I know from personal experience, that any risk of a slip has to be dealt with. On some loft steps, I've taken to adding non-slip tape, like abrasive paper, but meant for the job.
I would replace, but try and find something that has some grip, maybe as used in commercial properties.
Bare feet can have more grip than socks or shoes. Socks on carpet treads are deadly and smooth soled shoes can be as well.
Make sure you have two good handrails, well fixed.
12-weeks with a busted pelvis gave me a whole new view of stairs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Riley and Piglet! The carpet is synthetic so fairly slidey material anyway. Im trying to avoid replacing, what would your thoughts be on drilling these strips into each stair (and replacing these when they get worn)- would these give a proper grip? I know they won’t look fantastic but better than having an accident

Attachments

Reaction score
Another alternative would be to move the carpet so that the bits at the moment that are on the nosings move to the bottom of the riser.

Have you an off cut of carpet that you could use, enough to cover one step and a riser riser?

Sometimes carpet fitters double up on the riser of one step to allow for it to be moved when it wears,

Reaction score
Always keep reasonable size off-cuts if you have room - never know when you might need them.
The strips you pictured are for joining carpets at door thresholds etc. and would not work.
You need to do something before disaster strikes.
It's not going up stairs that's the problem - it's coming down.
If you need to use carpet because of rough stair construction, find a carpet, maybe contrasting if it needs to match, but stress with any supplier that it needs to be non-slip. Older stairs used to be better made and would just have a runner, wool or cotton, that covered the middle of the treads and risers. It would be fixed with a brass stair rod where the riser and tread meet. You could easily reverse the runner to even out wear and reverse the pile. That's too time consuming for modern carpet fitters, but they don't care about your safety.
In the meantime, stress to any people using the stairs to take care.
Apart from my accident, slipping down stairs led to my mother's death.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m really sorry to hear that :(
Yes I’m defo looking to sort asap. Last ditch attempt to save the carpet- how about non-slip carpet treads attached over the top of the existing carpet using carpet tacks?

Attachments

Reaction score
Wouldn't advise those.
They look as though they are meant to go onto wooden treads.
With the extra thickness of the existing carpet tacks wouldn't be secure enough.
Looking at your picture of the carpet, I can't make out if it's shadow or staining.
I'm out of ideas how you can keep the existing carpet, which is already slippery, and add something to make it safer.
To be honest, the bare wood would be better than dodgy carpet.
You have to weigh up the risks. One fall could cost a lot more than than replacing it with something new with better slip resistance.
I would get advice from a decent carpet retailer and explain the problem.
A really good scrub with a carpet cleaner and a hired extractor (or wet and dry vacuum) might really improve things.
Good luck.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, in case anyone is interested in the solution i went for, please see pic below. Not the most stylish looking solution I admit but I attached the non slip carpet treads to the existing carpet using large carpet tacks and they’ve done the trick! Nice and safe

Ask a Question