Weird plastic? pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have water coming into an outside toilet that I need to get rid of. The water inlet is via some black plastic pipe with an outside diameter of just over 17mm (0.68"). Obviously I cannot get a normal 15mm blanking cap to fit and cannot find anything else that will do the job. All I want to do is turn the water off at the street, cut the pipe and cap it off. Then turn the water back on again. Otherwise, I am unable to remove the old toilet.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Brian

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The water pipe supplying the outside toilet seems like it is an irrigation pipe, used for gardens/lawns. See if you local home hardware store has a "glue-on" end cap (or compression "end-cap") for landscaping sprinklers. Turn water off at street valve (or pinch the pipe with vise grips temporarily), glue on the end cap, restore water pressure.

Failing finding a suitable fitting, I would fold the pipe over approximately 6" (150mm) from end, put a hose clamp around the fold. This will stop the flow of water...it's just not very professional. Something like the picture below, but add a hose clamp around the whole bunch.

1662662262730.png

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Oh, I see. Well, the pipe must have come from some industry. If you can determine the material its made of (PVC, ABS, HDPE), then I would probably buy that material at a hardware place, file a slug of it into a cylinder, and glue it into the ID (inside diameter) of your buried pipe. That's probably what I would do.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks, this house was built in 1847 so I have no idea how they originally connected water, probably with lead? Anyway, thanks for your reply.

Brian

Ask a Question