ventilation in cellar

Reaction score
Recently we found mould in our rarely used and small cellar. The room is about 5ft x 5ft. We had the mould cleaned and the guy who cleaned it suggested we put a fan on the ventilation duct that's located just below ceiling level as well as either leaving the cellar door open or cutting an opening in the door and putting a vent on it so that air can flow through and gets pulled outside.

The duct is 4" in diameter, but is a little squished (from improper installation), so the smallest section is about 3.5" in diameter.

Any suggestions on what kind of fan I can get for the ventilation duct?

hxxp://img821.imageshack.us/img821/8856/img0284am.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes, there is a wide range of fans available for this sort of application. Try

Manrose 100mm Axial Wall/Ceiling Bathroom Or WC Humidity Fan

There should be lots of different varieties available, depending on your sizing, application etc.

If you stick that in a search engine / DIY site you should find something.

Reaction score
Hi Adam,

While I can't contribute to you here I am going to say thanks. Have a ever so slightly damp cellar and fitting ventilation didn't even occur me. I "was" considering cleaning out one of the rooms and using a dehumidifier to make myself a little laundry room (something I saw in a Youth Hostel once while on a charity bike ride), but it would have been a bigger task than getting a fan fitted.

Ask a Question