Upvc door locking problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
The front door has been a problem to lock for years now and I need to resolve the issue as my daughter who has always had problems with it now works nights and leaves the house in the early hours of the morning.
The door mechanism operates fine when the door is open. But when closed the handle needs a sharp jolt before the key can be turned. I have adjusted the door vertically both ways to the maximum but this does not work. I cannot see any thing obstructing the mechanism in the door post. I have run out of ideas.
Cheers
Dave

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a similar problem and the door company sent a man to fix it. I didn't see exactly how he did it, but I know he said it was out of true, slanted. That is, he had to bring it up to vertical from the slant. That looks to have lifted the catch so that it entered the slot without jamming.

ColinA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Thanks for the reply. I will try checking it with a spirit level. The trouble at the moment is it is so cold. I will let you know how I get on
Cheers
Dave

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If checking with a spirit level, do check that the frame is true. Ideally, the door should be set up in the frame, whatever state it is in. The long sides of the door need to be exactly in line with the frame. It is surprising how many frames are installed 'wonky' or have settled with time.

ColinA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Did you notice any other problems prior to the door being trued up? The door seems fine no draughts or sticking problems
Cheers
Dave

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No, just the problem with locking. It is because the latch that engages in the slot in the frame fouls and needs a jar to overcome it. Once the door is realigned, the latch will go in freely again.

ColinA

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just checked the door and unfortunately all seems level. I think the next thing I will do is remove all the latching plates from the door post and see if it locks without them then replace until it refuses to lock. If this does not work I will have run out of ideas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have been checking the door again today and found the problem. The door is level vertically but there appears to be a problem with the frame. I shut the door and drew a pencil line down from top to bottom and it tapers down with a difference of around 5mm. Interestingly the top of the door and the frame above are both out of true by the same amount. I think I may have to adjust the door off level vertically to lessen the 5mm gap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have been checking the door again today and found the problem. The door is level vertically but there appears to be a problem with the frame. I shut the door and drew a pencil line down from top to bottom and it tapers down with a difference of around 5mm. Interestingly the top of the door and the frame above are both out of true by the same amount. I think I may have to adjust the door off level vertically to lessen the 5mm gap
Yes, as I said earlier, sometimes the frame is out. Be careful how you adjust the door. Use both top and bottom hinge adjustments to take up the 5mm centrally. Otherwise, you may end up with a gap letting draughts in. The technique will come to you as you see the pencil line moving as you adjust.

ColinA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
After I sent the reply I tackled the adjustment for some reason the Allen keys adjusters were a bit clogged and I had to give the key a bit of a shove to engage. I pulled the top in and the bottom out and the door is locking now with no sticking points. Thanks for your help

Ask a Question