Unsupported Joist?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not a builder...

I'm in the middle of refurbishing my house and came across a floor joist (trimmer) that at one end is not fixed, all it has is a small 2x2cm packer sitting on a notch in the newel post.

The house was built in the 1960s and wondering was this normal back in the day, I'm guessing not.

Any suggestions on fixing this?

Cheers!
Joist_1.jpg
Joist_3.jpg
Joist_2.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Personally, I would install a 4x4 (inches) post vertically beneath the beam (truss, as you call it). This vertical column would be approx. 90" in length, that is, if your basement is anything like the ceiling height of ours (approximately 90", or 2.28m) and a concrete floor. This way the load of the trusses (which support the floor) is transferred onto the concrete basement floor.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's clearly been there a while, so no danger of imminent collapse...

And anyway, it looks like it is supported?

There's the packer, and these:

1634466444074.png

Does the floor creak or move? Is the packing piece tight? If it is then the newel post is taking the load.

I woudn't worry about it.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
@He who knows - Here in North America, toe nails (as we call them, you circled them in purple) are not deemed as a load bearing fastening method. Sheer stress on those nails would be too great for them to bear the load without yielding.

Ask a Question