Unknown electrical box connected to water heater?

Reaction score
I've got a box that houses some type of what appears to be a switch or overload protection, but I have no idea if I need to leave it connected or not...although I suspect it was left-over from an old pressure regulator that was removed long ago once the house was switched from well water to county supply.

Coming into this box is 240v on 10/2 which connects back to a dual pole 30 amp breaker in the main panel (bottom poles). Coming out of this box is 240v on 10/2 which wires directly into the water heater. There is also a brown cable consisting of 2x 22 AWG wires connecting to the block.

Is this something I need, or can I simplify things by bypassing it and splicing the 240v from the panel into a standard junction box? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
Have a competent electrician trace out the circuit. 240v mains power is not an area to 'learn' on! It would be very strange for 22 gauge wire carrying 240VAC. There would be hardly any appreciable current carrying capacity before the wire got overheated, so I too am not sure what it connects to.

Reaction score
Have a competent electrician trace out the circuit. 240v mains power is not an area to 'learn' on! It would be very strange for 22 gauge wire carrying 240VAC. There would be hardly any appreciable current carrying capacity before the wire got overheated, so I too am not sure what it connects to.
Maybe my post was misleading about my experience...without getting into the details, suffice it to say I have plenty of knowledge, training (military) and experience to work on residential-grade electrical in my own home.

That said, the 22 gauge wire is not carrying any significant voltage, it is a relay from some sort of prior system that I suspect is not currently needed. While I appreciate your comment and feedback, I am hoping for someone with enough experience with water heaters to tell me what the pictured block is and if it is needed.

Reaction score
Maybe my post was misleading about my experience...without getting into the details, suffice it to say I have plenty of knowledge, training (military) and experience to work on residential-grade electrical in my own home.
Not at all, your post didn't mention anything about your abilities. I am glad that you have the training to keep you safe. I stand corrected, the picture doesn't show the wiring on the backside, but it does look very similar to a well system's pressure regulator's contactor. The 22 gauge wire could be used to trigger the coil shut, closing the circuit.

The box was probably left as a way to keep the wire safe without having to go through the trouble of stripping it back to the panel. Apparently the plumber took advantage of this to wire up your tank. The picture also doesn't show any other connections. I see two 10/2 cables coming in at the bottom, but can not see what they are connected to.

If that relay circuit no longer feeds a distant branch, I don't see why you can't get rid of it.

Ask a Question