Turning attic into livable space

Reaction score
Hello folks,

I'm looking to turn an attic into a small livable space (nook), roughly around 72 sq.ft. I"m currently evaluating what I need to do in order to lay down some subfloor, and after spending quite a bit of time googling around, I figured i'd post this forum thread to get some additional advise before I move forward.

I have some pictures on the project at https://goo.gl/photos/wVmmikunK9LnFVnE9 . The first picture shows the 3D model of the proposed end result. The last 4 pictures shows existing and what I'm working with. My main concern is obviously flooring support.... the 2x6 (actually 2x5.5"!) in view are the ceiling joists, running perpendicular to the roof truss. In the last picture, i show what it seems to be a strongback of some sort, running perpendicular to the ceiling joists, and parallel to the roof truss.

The "simplest solution", i'd think, would be to run 2 other strongbacks (one in between the existing bathroom wall, another one next to it), and lay down plywood. I couldn't find a thread anywhere suggesting that that's not kosher. Curious what folks would do in this situation.

Something worth noting is that the subfloor (for the rest of the livable area in my 2nd floor) appears to be at the same height as what they plywood would be if I were to place plywood on top of that strongback seen in the last picture ...

Thank you for any suggestions.

Ask a Question