Puzzled by the sprinkler system not turning on

Reaction score
My 4-stations sprinkler system does not start after the winter, and I am out of ideas what could be the culprit.

Observation: None of the 4 stations/zones work when started (manually from the controller).

I have verified (at the controller terminals) that the controller(Toro) turns on the voltage to the master valve and each of the stations when those are supposed to be on.
When the master switch and one of the stations are turned on, I observe: 1. The Pressure Vacuum Breaker (PVB) [Wilkins] leaks a bit of water (doesn't fountain). 2. The specific station valve is energized (I hear the buzz).
Since all 4 stations do not work, I doubt that all 4 station electric valves broke at the same time.

Also, I checked one of those station valves: manually opening the bleed valve (it's a Toro 250 series) valve) does not yield anything.
So, I am concluding that the water does not reach the station valves.

What could be the problem?
The outlet valve of the PVB is open (although it is stuck in that position and I can not turn it to close completely, only just a little bit, maybe just 10 degrees).
Because the PVB is leaking but not fountaining, I assume it would not be preventing the flow out - to the stations (am I wrong in this assumption?).

We had an unusually deep hard freeze this past winter, which could have damaged something. But, if the pipe between the PVB and the stations were substantially cracked, I'd assume, I'd see some water seeping out to the surface, and if the crack were very small, I'd have at least some water coming through the station valves (or bleed valve).
I am lost at what else could be the problem.

Any ideas?

Ask a Question