Tight table saw

Reaction score
Any tips on how to prevent my piece of timber tightening against the blade guide/guard when running a piece through my table saw? Seems to tighten no matter how careful I think I am being. Appreciate any advice.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

You've done the right thing in asking because this on a tablesaw could prove highly dangerous resulting in a very serious accident.

I see lots of YouTube videos where table saws are being used without riving knife attached so first job is to fit a correct riving knife if one isn't fitted; if a riving knife is indeed fitted then it needs to be accurately adjusted. The reason a riving knife is fitted is to prevent the timber as it comes out of the rear of the blade coming into contact with the blade teeth which are travelling uphill; timber being ripped has an habit of closing the kerf which nips the rear of the blade.

With the riving knife installed and adjusted then the fence (guide) needs careful adjustment; this needs to be perfectly parallel to the blade whilst also being accurately adjusted vertically; I find the quickest basic adjustment is to raise the saw blade up to maximum then select a very straight length of planed 2" X 2" timber; gently place the timber against the blade ensuring it's in contact with teeth front and back then slide the fence up to the timber and adjust the fence; the timber should slide through without binding; do a test cut and then make fine adjustment if needed but do not run a saw bench if its out of adjustment its highly dangerous.

Above is just one of many YouTube videos which might help you. My big radial arm saw doesn't have a fence but it still needs very accurate adjustment; Don't rush whilst adjusting take plenty of time to get it just right; below is a picture of the saw bench I designed and built from scratch; it's 4hp single phase and if it wasn't adjusted correctly I'd soon be wearing timber in my face. If your timber is binding then your saw is out of adjustment; one other point though if the timber being sawn isn't straight and without twist the saw will object and be dangerous. Please play safe. Have you got a decent length push stick?

Kind regards, Colin.

DSCN2663.JPG

4" depth of cut on 4hp. Please note riving knife is installed for safety.

Reaction score
Thanks retired, it must be in the set up.
Hi,

You've done the right thing in asking because this on a tablesaw could prove highly dangerous resulting in a very serious accident.

I see lots of YouTube videos where table saws are being used without riving knife attached so first job is to fit a correct riving knife if one isn't fitted; if a riving knife is indeed fitted then it needs to be accurately adjusted. The reason a riving knife is fitted is to prevent the timber as it comes out of the rear of the blade coming into contact with the blade teeth which are travelling uphill; timber being ripped has an habit of closing the kerf which nips the rear of the blade.

With the riving knife installed and adjusted then the fence (guide) needs careful adjustment; this needs to be perfectly parallel to the blade whilst also being accurately adjusted vertically; I find the quickest basic adjustment is to raise the saw blade up to maximum then select a very straight length of planed 2" X 2" timber; gently place the timber against the blade ensuring it's in contact with teeth front and back then slide the fence up to the timber and adjust the fence; the timber should slide through without binding; do a test cut and then make fine adjustment if needed but do not run a saw bench if its out of adjustment its highly dangerous.

Above is just one of many YouTube videos which might help you. My big radial arm saw doesn't have a fence but it still needs very accurate adjustment; Don't rush whilst adjusting take plenty of time to get it just right; below is a picture of the saw bench I designed and built from scratch; it's 4hp single phase and if it wasn't adjusted correctly I'd soon be wearing timber in my face. If your timber is binding then your saw is out of adjustment; one other point though if the timber being sawn isn't straight and without twist the saw will object and be dangerous. Please play safe. Have you got a decent length push stick?

Kind regards, Colin.

View attachment 1348

4" depth of cut on 4hp. Please note riving knife is installed for safety.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Ask a Question