Run a conduit under a concrete patio in a tight space

Reaction score
Hello all! I'm new to this community, thanks in advance for your help and tips!

I have a detached studio, and between my house and the detached studio there is a concrete patio. I want to run ethernet underneath the patio, but I'm not sure the best way to do it. I have seen videos in which people use PVC piping to hollow out a path, but I don't have enough room (I don't think I do) for the appropriate length of pipe. Unless there is a different way (aside from cutting concrete if possible)?

An electrician ran a new circuit for a split A/C under the patio, but I wasn't around when he did it and I'm not sure how he got under there. Pics of the space are attached..

The width of the patio is 122", and there is a small area of dirt / plants that's 72" wide between the patio and the detached studio.

Any ideas are welcome, I'm just in the planning stage - thank you so much for your expertise!

J

Attachments

Reaction score
Your photos seem to show different jobs, not focusing on the job you want. I can't tell if photo 1 & 3 are for the same yet to be done job. If so, 72" is plenty to run a pipe under the slab (or you can use a carbide blade to cut a kerf in the contraction joint to the right of where you want the line run, leading up to the door and place your cable in that). If you want to run it under the slab, get two pieces of pipe at least 60" long. One would have a female adapter and the other a male adapter, so you can screw them together when you are 60" under the slab. You will end up with a larger tunnel than the size of the pipe, so use smaller rather than larger pipe. Using steel pipe rather than PVC will raise the likelihood the tunnel will be straight.

Ask a Question