Raising concrete slab in a tight spot

Reaction score
Hi Guys!

I have an unusual concrete project. I have a single-thickness brick wall with a 30-foot by 15-foot concrete slap (four inches thick) enclosed by that brick wall. The brick wall is resting on the house’s foundation/footers and is tied into the roof and walls of the house but the slab is “free-floating” (not tied into the house) and is resting on unexcavated dirt which has sunk about five inches on one of the long sides. (The other long side has not sunk, and is fine). I want to raise the long side which has sunk to make the slab level.

Two mud-jacking contractors warned me that it would/might “blow out the wall” if it were mud-jacked and they advised me not to mud-jack the sunken side of the slab to raise it level. I would be glad for any repair ideas any of you guys have, but I was thinking about opening the brick wall in about five places on the one long side that needs lifting (removing about three bricks per hole) and putting one jack into each hole and slowly, uniformly, and carefully jacking up that side of the slab that needs lifting.

First question: Are 5 jacks the right number to lift the slab without breaking the slab, (and are five jacks more than the necessary number)?

Second question: When the slab is at the right level, how can I keep it there? One idea is to fill the void under the slab with wet concrete but I would need to distribute the wet concrete throughout the 30x15-foot area underneath the slab, to fill the inches under the slab after the slab has been raised level. Do you have any ideas about how to push concrete through a tube to get it where it needs to go?

Thank you in advance!

Ask a Question