THHN wiring

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I'm going to install conduit with THHN wire for a new Mini Split. Can I run the THHN straight into the panel? How do I clamp it at the connector on the panel?
Thx WAD

Reaction score
Country
Canada
THHN is fine for use in conduit, and naturally into a panelboard as well. Remember: THHN needs to be in a raceway (AKA conduit) the WHOLE length, that is, right up to the panelboard. So, when the conduit's end is terminated/connected into the panelboard, the conductors are pulled in the whole length from the panelboard to the condenser's manual disconnect service switch. There is no need to formally secure the conductors with anything in the panelboard.....use some ty-wraps (AKA tie-straps, zip ties) for a clean neat workmanship like job.

ok?

Reaction score
Country
United States
One more question. What do you recommend solid or stranded THHN 12ga.?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
By way of electrical capacity/sufficiency, they are both the same. However, you will find that pulling in stranded conductors is easier. Stranded conductors are also superior for connecting vibrating equipment as they yield to the torque of the termination screw quite well.

Hope the best with that.....let me know if anything else.

Regards,

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OOI (mine ;-) ), depending on the type of terminal, do you guys regard it as good practice to crimp eyelet lugs or ferrules , etc, to the ends of stranded cables?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
We will sometimes crimp on ferrules/eyelets for control wiring. So you can do this for your t-stat if you like. Aside from this, simply bend the stripped copper conductor in a 180deg bend and insert it under the terminal screw clockwise.

Regards AC primary power, we won't use ferrules, but eyelets can be used if you'd like.

Good Luck,

Ask a Question