The Jeep is ready to fight.

Reaction score
Fires that is. Even though I am one of the main engine drivers at our department there are times when I can be of more value as a First Responder. I now have my Cherokee set up with extinguishers and first aid equipment. There are very few places I can’t get to which means I get in when the fire engines can’t. I also have a setup on the back so I can haul hose from the engines. The Jeep has 214,500 miles on it and still going strong.

7B30FBF2-0C91-4F99-85A6-6C90FC48285E.jpeg

Reaction score
Thanks Ian. There have been months when we have had as many as 15 calls and some months we have no calls. Since we are very rural we are usually the first to respond to any emergency. We undergo constant training and recertification so we are well prepared for almost any emergency.

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That's great! What sort of stuff do you get called out for? I seem to remember that in the US, the fire dept has quite a broad remit and you'll get called out to anything from vehicle collisions, medical emergencies and of course fires! Is that correct? Got to be equipped for pretty much anything I guess!

Reaction score
Number 1 is vehicle accidents for the last few years. #2 fires and #3 is medical calls. We also do fun stuff like parades and social events. This time of year our biggest problem is farmers putting their hay in barns before it is dry. We have had 3 barn fires in the last 3 months due to spontaneous combustion. Hay fires are one of the hardest fires to fight.

Ask a Question