Solar Panels

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a solar panel to charge a 12v battery for a electric fence that I have. The fence is temporary and I would like to use this same panel for another project in the future. My question is if it is ok to use a solar panel that is overpowered for the application if the proper solar charge controller is used? I am looking at purchasing a Renogy 100W (5.62 Amp Optimum Operating Current) solar panel to use on my small electric fence (15 Mile Electric Fence Charger). I know that this is a overkill but I would like to use this same panel in the future on a solar water well system I have in mind (to keep a constant flow of water in my pond). Does anyone have experience with this and know if I would be okay going with this size panel?

Reaction score
Its not a problem as the charge controller will take care of the charge current for the battery if set correctly. I have a 12 volt 150watt unit on my electric fence although my one only goes around my chicken pen. Its to stop the foxes digging under the wire so far has worked well (been on for 2 years now )

Ask a Question