Socket from light junction box.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I'm looking to put a new t.v aerial that requires a power supply on the gable end of our house.
In the loft and at the same end where the aerial is going to go is a light junction for the pull switch in the bedroom below, nothing else is wired into that junction.
What I would like to do is have the aerial power supply cable come through the wall & plug into a fused socket that is wired into the light junction.
Is this safe?
Thankyou.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
No this would not be recommended. I would try to connect into the ring main somewhere as this can take more current draw than the lighting circuit. Can you not find any ring main wiring in the loft that you could connect to instead? I converted the loft into a small bedroom and had to lift the floor boards below the loft hatch and wire into the ring main and carry the wiring up under conduit into the loft so you may have to investigate options

Reaction score
Most TV aerials that have a built in amplifier, hence the power supply, inject the 12-volts or whatever at the TV end, so no need to put anything in the loft.
People like Labgear do these power supplies and all the ones I've use come with the aerial.
All you do is use the ordinary coax cable with the sheath or braid as the DC ground, and the centre wire as the 12-V positive.
In practice, their is no wiring to do and the power supply has coax sockets already in place.
The DC voltage does not interfere with the much higher frequency TV signal. My own aerial operates exactly the same.
Connecting a power socket to a lighting circuit is not recommended as it is bad practice. You might know it only supplies a relatively low power device, but someone else wouldn't. Plug in a 3-kW heater or whatever and the least that will happen is you trip the MCB

Ask a Question