UK shaver socket -> led strip light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am new to the forum -- apologies if I sound totally out of place. I don't know where the majority of users on this forum are located. I live in London, England.

There's a shaver supply unit (BS 4573 socket) in the bathroom -- see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_po...British_and_related_types#BS_4573_(UK_shaver)

The spec says its 0.2A and 20-50 VA. This is a mostly historic convenience because shavers in the past used to come with a "shaver plug." Most electric shavers and electric toothbrushes today do not use a shaver plug; they are fed off the usual mains supply.

I have no requirement for this socket and want instead to install a led strip light above the bathroom cabinet.

At first I thought, simple: just find a LED that can be fed off a shaver socket.

But, no, LEDs are DC, and shaver sockets produce low-current AC.

Even if I found one of those integral LED strip lights (built-in driver), it's expecting the usual mains 240V AC. It has a built-in transformer to convert the mains 240V AC to 24V DC.

I haven't found find a led strip that has a shaver plug. (In the UK, only shavers and electric toothbrushes use a shaver input.) Shaver plugs are dying, I think.

But what would happen if I plugged in a power-fed (i.e., no transformer/driver) led strip?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The answer is: it works.

Thanks for all your help, guys. ;)

Ask a Question