Simple Tool Handle

Reaction score
I made this tool handle out of a section of old hammer handle. I used hand tools to do it but if you have the power tools available, by all means use them. Hope you enjoy!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Welcome to the forum FF and you've got off to a good start with your excellent video. :)

There's something very satisfying working with your hands. It's easy to forget the hand tool basics whilst these days machines and power tools are so common.

When I started work as an apprentice in the pit 57 years ago my very first task was to make a hammer handle to fit a 2Lb hammer head the new handle to be made from an old hickory pick handle. I've since made many handles but these days using one of my lathes. Have you considered buying a woodturning lathe because a lathe opens up an whole new world; I have both metal and wood turning lathes and would never be without a lathe. I put my tangs a lot further into the handle.

It was stressed right from the start that I should never ever use a file without an handle fitted to it unless I wanted to have the file tang sticking into my hand.

Thanks for posting the video FF it brings back many happy memories from so long ago.

Kind regards, Colin.

Ask a Question