Shower Room Stramit Wall damaged by water how to repair ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Hope someone can please help / advise me on my shower problem.

I stopped using my shower some months ago as I noticed water / damp was coming through to the room below. Having taken off the tiles I can see that certainly I did have a leak.

My first question is about asbestos. The House was built by Bryant homes in 1984 and I think the wall is compressed straw (I have attached some pictures) think its call Stramit.

The big question as a novice DIYer how best to repair this section of wall. Once done I was going to install backer boards to water proof but not exactly sure how to ‘prepare’ the wall for the backer board. Is it possible to apply something to harden it up (totally dry at the moment but flakey) , should I install paster board first and then fit the backer board to that, or fix the backer board direct to the wall as it is.

Would appreciate any help or advice you can give me and thanks you very much for your time.

Tiggy

Attachments

Ask a Question