Running network cable outside the house upstairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm looking to run a network cable from the downstairs of my house upstairs and across (both points are on front of the house), I think running it along the outside would be easier than lifting the carpet and floorboards up, although happy to hear otherwise.

My plan is to just drill a hole through the wall, run the cable up the wall and to the other room and through a hole there. I'd like to have some kind of protector / sleeve for the cable, mainly to protect against UV damage and the elements although the cable I've ordered is for outdoor use I guess more protection is better. I'll also use some of those small cable tacks to hold the cable against the wall.

I assume I'll have to use some silicone sealant on the outside to fill in around the hole?

Does anyone have any ideas on where to purchase the protector / sleeve I mentioned above as I'm struggling to find one.

Thanks for any advice.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You can get network cable that comes in a UV resistant sheath, so no need to get anything additional :). Might be worth getting CAT6 cable to future proof it even more:

There are also cable entry protectors, if that's what you mean? This one is for red brick:

If you wanted to really protect the cable from the elements, you could use conduit - get the 20mm one and it comes with 3m PVC tubes and a variety of corners, junctions and entry boxes which you can then use saddles to fix to your walls. It may be overkill and isn't as discrete, but it will really protect it. I have some short runs outside my house and use this:

If you're able to hide the cable near downpipes and the roof, I'd probably just buy really sturdy outdoor rated CAT6 and use cable clips, so it's hidden as much as possible.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Reactions: Ian
Reaction score
The advantage of conduit is you know your cheap CAT5e or 6 is fully protected and you have a convenient means to pull a second one through.
Surprising just how many unprotected cables like satellite, telephone get the chop when someone gets the shears out.
My neighbour ran his cable up the back of the downpipe ad still managed to chop through it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Don't use Screwfix conduit:

And beware of using any plastic conduit outside - it has quite a high thermal expansion coefficient, so you need slip couplers, and it can easily soften enough to sag. Take no notice of the "official" saddle spacing guidelines.

Reaction score
Regardless of weather you enclose the cable or not, and even if you plug the holes with mastic, I would still make sure to have a 'drip loop' at the lower entry point.

Ask a Question