Running a radiator into new extension

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I’m having a new extension built and was toying with the idea of fitting the radiator myself.

My question is, when taking the pipes through the cavity wall from the existing house is there a regulation or best practice on how this should be done.

Cheers
Mark

Reaction score
Don't know the answer to your question directly except you will need to lag them.
However, be aware you almost certainly will need to adjust the balance in your existing radiators to force enough water to the new one.

Reaction score
Shouldn't be a problem.
You can use plastic or copper.
The only best practice I would suggest if you are going through a solid wall is to sleeve the hole with something like overflow pipe so that any pipe movement does not chaff the pipes

Reaction score
Hi,

All good suggestions to date, but would suggest you also buy pipe covers to fit around the pipe and against the wall each side for a nice neat joint againt the wall. Fitting the radiator is easier than you might at first think, but a few points to remember:

1. Make sure your boiler has sufficient capacity to add the extra radiator and depending on the extra distance, that your pump has sufficient pressure to also feed the radiator

2. Remember to remove the bleed valve when first filling the radiator. (Another bleed a few days later is also worthwhile.)

3. Depending on how old your existing sytem is, consider fitting a "MagnaClean" or similar filter adjacent to your boiler, (may need a Plumber!) in order to capture all the magnetic sludge that's in your existing system - well worthwhile.

4. Do NOT be talked into flushing through or replacing your existing radiators. A "MagnaClean" now, and a new boiler every 10 years will be cheaper!

Ask a Question