Rotten base on garage door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks! About 6 inches from the bottom of our garage door is rotten (behind where the metal base cover should have been properly attached to/see close-up photo), and the paint is of course peeling away. Apart from the metal supports, the door is made up of 8mm~ thick plywood panels (the base of some are suffering the rott), that are very large and would be hard to replace. I’m thinking to buy some sort of PVC plastic panel thats big enough to cover all along the rotten section, likely with some sort of glue and then seal the edges, but thats just a guess, and would really appreciate your advice/ideas. If by chance I’m on the right lines, what type of PVC and glue would you recommend? Also thought that once I remove that metal at the bottom, I could use some Minwax Wood Hardener to help ensure the rott doesnt spread (worth doing even though I’m covering it up?). Attached photos should hopefully give you an idea of the issue. Thank you!!

Attachments

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Ben. A quick fix would be to use the wood Gardner and then cover with vinyl or aluminum siding. It might make a good compliment to your brick.

I hate to admit it but I have never seen a one piece garage door before.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Welcome from me too Ben. :)

8mm thick plywood is easy enough to handle even in big sheets so is it possible to simply do the job just once and replace the lot rather than patching which I never do? WBP plywood fully sealed especially the edges should last for many years to come. Once you start patching something it becomes an ongoing job. Is the door single or double plywood skinned?

I converted our up and over garage door to side hung doors years ago making access into the garage a great deal easier; I made the doors of softwood with plywood panels and fully sealed them with top quality paint .

The cladding above and below the window is 18mm thick plywood I routed and this is heavy plywood but I did the job entirely on my own again I took a lot of care in fully sealing the plywood at the back and all edges before installing it; it still looks like new.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Kind regards, Colin.

Benjamin Moore_001.JPG

Ask a Question