Roof leak - soaked chipboard roof and MDF stairs

Reaction score
Hi,

New here. We are having a loft conversion done and company has failed time and again to waterproof the roof, so we are now experiencing the 4th rain leak in 5 weeks.

As a result, one of the chipboard roof panels (where it leaked every single time) has been soaked through and through, and I am concerned about its integrity. Should we ask for it to be replaced?

Second issue, the MDF staircase. Despite our best efforts with buckets and boxes several steps have also been soaked repeatedly. What's the risk with these? Certainly the company will say it's OK, as it would cost them a fortune to replace the staircase but is it really OK?

Any advice much appreciated, as we are extremely angry and concerned.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

What a sad story Entrigo. The short answer is it's definitely not OK and needs fixing as a matter of urgency. Neither chipboard or MDF are happy being soaked and I shudder at the thought of an MDF staircase even a dry one.

You say the company keep failing to waterproof the roof so at least they aren't ignoring you but obviously the problem remains; a leaking roof is bad news because unchecked it can cause a great deal of damage and an MDF staircase being exposed to water enough to soak it is a serious safety issue.

I can understand your anger and frustration; if the loft conversion company have created the leak then surely it's their responsibility to do the necessary repairs because the longer the leak remains the damage spreads.

If you can't get the repairs done by the company then its a costly and time consuming fight through the courts unless you can claim on your insurance which is unlikely because I feel the insurance company will happily duck out of it and tell you to sort it out with the company although in your case I think the company would be right to reject such a claim but it could be worth a try and if rejected the insurance company might suggest the best route to follow?

I'm no expert but my wife Bron and I had our insurance claim rejected six weeks after moving into this bungalow 31 years ago when two rooms suffered water ingress through the ceilings; the entire roof was in need of replacing; the insurance loss adjusters told us politely to get lost throwing our claim out because the water ingress "Was lack of maintenance". We had a maximum mortgage and couldn't borrow another penny; the building society and insurance company didn't want to know; we couldn't afford the new roof so for 18 months we lived with buckets and bowls; we sure get bad weather here on the valley side and it was a nightmare; we were stuck; unable to afford repairs couldn't sell the bungalow without incurring a huge loss and we were both angry with the building society and insurance company.

Bron and I saved every penny we could working overtime etc and it took 18 months before we could afford materials; during the 18 months I researched how to install a roof and visited our local Marley site where we were kindly given a brochure covering their entire range of roof tiles and also we asked questions. It took two weeks of hard physical graft with me on the roof ripping the old roof off whilst Bron filled the skips and also filled lots of bags with plasterboard when I kicked the ceilings in; neither of us had ever done anything like this previously and it filled us with dread when we were standing in our front room looking up at the sky. We bought top quality materials and did a wonderful job. We replaced the bungalow main roof and the flat roof over the two roomed rear extension. We now have our dream bungalow but without a bit of outside help doing the job ourselves. I was working in a very stressful job and under a great deal of pressure to complete the roof in order to return to work after the holiday; some holiday?

It won't make you feel happy but so many end up with similar problems not knowing which way to turn or whom to ask for help. Good luck; you've got my deepest sympathy.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hi Colin, thank you for sharing your experience, it does sound like a real nightmare, but very well done to you and Bron for pulling your socks up and get things fixed yourselves.

Things have not been great with this company but: 1. I eventually learned (thanks to some expert comments) that the boards weren't chipboard (these are being used as temporary flooring, that's why I got confused) but apparently sterling board, which it seems can withstand water. 2. The roof should now be fully waterproof - I guess we'll have to wait and hope for the best.

As per the MDF staircase, I also shuddered when I saw it, but having had a look around it seems fairly common nowadays, especially when the company needs a low cost option... It seems not to be damaged now, but I read somewhere that even if not swollen, water damage could lead to creaking steps. Once again, we'll wait and see.

At this point, I just want them to finish and be gone...

Ask a Question