Novide needing advice to fix leaking shed roof

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,
We have a nice shed which had a pretty bad leak last year. We are in Southern California and the leak last winter caused some of the interior drywall to sag.
As we are getting closer to the rainy season, I would like advice on how to fix the roof without replacing it completely.
Based on my observation, I believe there to be several areas where water could be seeping in so covering/fixing all the seams would probably be best.
I have a very limited budget and do want to save my shed.
All ideas welcome!!!

Thank you
IMG-3109.jpg
IMG-3110.jpg
IMG-3111.jpg
IMG-3112.jpg

Reaction score
Frankly, you'd be better off re-felting it.

I had a similar problem last year. I originally built this shed out of re-claimed materials for our seven year-old daughter's ever increasing "zoo" of rabbits and guinea pigs. It's not seen any of either for decades she is 52 now and has a home and family of her own. (No rabbits or guinea pigs, four kids was enough!)

It houses my gardening equipment now.
I re-felted it twenty years ago. But last year it looked like this, after a few years of re-patching.

P1020436.JPG

The only permanent solution is a re-felt. You could end up spending as much money trying to repair it and it'll probably still leak.

If the shed is worth keeping it's money well spent. Mine now looks like this and I don't have to worry about it any more. It's an easy enough task.

P1020442.JPG

The exterior gets a repaint every few years, hence no rot. It'll probably "see me out" now.

P1020443.JPG

Reaction score
Choose a non-tear polymer variety, which I did rather than get more of the old type.. Over here in the UK they don't sell it in the "sheds" only, cheap rubbish. I had to go to a roofing supply wholesalers to get it. It's well worth the extra cost.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Choose a non-tear polymer variety, which I did rather than get more pof the old type.. Over here in the UK they don't sell it in the "sheds" only, cheap rubbish. I had to go to a roofing supply wholesalers to get it. It's well worth the extra cost.
Thank you!!

Reaction score
I have re-covered a couple of sheds. The problem is simple, anything with a seam is a potential leak.

My solution is to buy a pond liner of suitable size and re-cover the roof with it. No seams, no leaks!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have re-covered a couple of sheds. The problem is simple, anything with a seam is a potential leak.

My solution is to buy a pond liner of suitable size and re-cover the roof with it. No seams, no leaks!
what a great idea, thanks! How would you re-cover so that it stays in place? Wrap it under the edges and staple? Can liners handle a good amount of direct sunlight?

Reaction score
I would definitely not use a pond liner. Pond liners can tear and will look poor. Pond liners degrade with sunlight and time. That's why many pools start to leak.

Far better to do a "proper job." It'll last longer.

What you need is a non-tear polymer roofing felt as I said earlier.
It's just a question of overlaping, just like it has been done with roofing tiles for centuries..

Last edited:
Reaction score
To date (ten years), I have not had a problem. After-all, pond liner, although under water, is still subjected to UV light (or I assume it is.)

I have a flat section of roof over my garage and that is covered with EDPM rubber sheeting, around 0.75 mm thick. I was designed for the job, factory welded seams. I think you can buy EDPM pond liner which I assume will have UV protection built in.

On one edge, I lightly tacked the liner to the edge (to hold it in place), then nailed a length of 3mm x 40mm to fix the liner, then folded it over to create a drip edge with no visible penetrations. On the other edges, I folded the liner and stapled it in place. Then, another length of similar sizes wood nailed in place and painted black so that it is not so obvious. I have not had to replace the wood yet, but if I do, I would image that the liner behind it is still in good condition.

The main point is, one piece covering with no penetrations on the draining section means no internal leaks.

Reaction score
It's possible to over complicate this simple job.

I re-felted the shed I built in the seventies, last year. The same way I did our summerhouse.

Just a question of cleaning off the old felt.

P1020440.JPG

and laying the new.

Done in a couple of hours.

P1020442.JPG

It'll se me out!

P1020443.JPG

Reaction score
A more permanent fix is to use one of the corrugated fixes like a bitumen fibre type like Onduline or old fashioned corrugated steel.
Single layer traditional shed felt is OK, but the weather will eventually get it.
A pond liner should last, but the key reason plastics degrade is more down to the ultraviolet component.
Black products tend to last a bit longer e.g. weather resistant nylon cable ties are black. With translucent products, the UV can penetrate deeper.
A pond liner will be protected by the water, at least at depth.
I don't trust polythene for ponds and either use a moulded type or a synthetic rubber based sheet.
I have a feeling that polythene is going to be more susceptible to trapping moisture due to the smooth surface.

Reaction score
Cheap roofing felt I agree doesn't last. But as I mentioned before, the non-tear polymer ones do.

I posted two actual photos of our summerhouse's roof with this fabric, the day I finished re-felting it and then ten years later. No sign of deterioration.

"Fact always beats theory."

Ask a Question