Retractable extension cords

Reaction score
hello:

I am looking for a spring loaded electric cord holder. I know there are one on the market that come with the electrical cord already installed.

I would like to get a retractable electric cord storage (spring loaded) device. One where I can use my own extension cable.

I have the manual plastic one. With that one I have to crank it manually to get cord wrapped.

Ideally what I am looking for is something I can hang on the ceiling. When I need cord, I can pull down the amount of cord I need. And when I’m done I can give it a little tug and the cord is rolled back up.

I know there are products on the market, that have the cord already integrated. But I am looking for one you can use with your own electrical cord?

Any insight is greats appreciate.

Regards,

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have 2 of these in my shop, different brands. One rockwell and 12AWG, one...green<something>, a popular brand. Both come with cord.

I've not seen one you can provide your own cord, they kind of have to work the cord into their design, to use the proper winding spring.

The rockler one is metal, but the winding spring was insufficient to wind the 12AWG cord. So I tried to wind it tighter and I think did the opposite, need to redo it yet, it doesn't coil at all now... most likely fixable though.

How many amps do you need? if plugged into a normal outlet, that's just 15 amps, a 14AWG wire is fine, there are quite a few available for under a hundred. Any particular reason you want to use your own cord? efficiency? (i can relate, have a ton of extension cords already!)

Ask a Question