replacing "broadway" lights in bathroom

Reaction score
I have dismantled the bank of "broadway" lights (big fat round bulbs all in a row) in my bathroom and have removed everything including the back plate that takes the place of a standard octagon electrical box. Have done this before and was told by the electrician
it is up to code providing I replace with a fixture with a back plate. For appearances sake, I wish to centre the new fixture whereas the old fixture was installed "flush right".
Problem One: Existing wiring comes out of a small hole in the drywall and may be too short
to link with the new centred position of the new fixture. Can I just join a few inches of wire with a couple of marretts?
Problem Two: It is doubtful the new fixture (which is quite light) will line up with existing studs in the wall. Can I use drywall anchors to attach the back plate?
Problem Three: To centre the new fixture, I will have to reroute the existing wire hanging out of the wall about ten inches to the left. There is a stud in the way. Is it feasible to cut a channel in the drywall to reroute the wire or do I have to do it behind the drywall, going through the studs? I realize I will have to patch the existing hole in the drywall and I am wondering if I can imbed the wire in a channel and use mud to bury it.
Problem Four: If I do have to go behind the drywall, is there a special bit that I can buy to drill sideways into the stud?
Any info from you experts out there would really be appreciated. Thank You.

Ask a Question